(WJBF, McCormick Messenger) – McCormick, SC
You have seen “Save the Date”, “Mark Your Calendar” notices and articles in newspapers and magazines and leaflets all over town. The anticipation is rising!!!
This is the 3rd annual BlueWay Festival celebrating our region. It will take place on Saturday, August 28th, at Baker Creek State Park on Lake Thurmond. The festival’s mission is to provide outdoor recreational experiences for all ages and abilities. Whether you, all your family and friends are coming and just watching our great professional experts perform, or jumping in and exploring the many activities and information our exhibitors and sellers have to offer, you will have a fun day no matter what interests you or what you are doing what you choose. And thanks to our many sponsors, donors and volunteers, it’s free!
Various activities and shows are offered throughout the day. Be sure to get a schedule and watch out for signs so you don’t miss any fun! Some of our exciting and entertaining main events are:
• The Freestyle Connection Pro BMX stunt show. You have been loved by the crowds at the festival in the past. This year it gets even more exciting as they use their airbag ramp to cushion those extra high jumps.
• AGT loved her and so will you. The “Canine Stars” come straight from the Hollywood studio of “America’s Got Talent”. This group of rescue dogs and their owners will make you “WOW” with their talent and strong bonds. You will perform all kinds of stunts from agility, fast ball, high jumps, disc catching, dock jumping and more.
• Pro wake boarder Joel Shradder will return to the BlueWay Festival to wow you as he breathes breathtaking air over Lake Thurmond and demonstrates his skills on the water.
• We are happy to have Augusta Tomahawks with us, who will show you how to stab a “hawk” precisely into a target.
• Do you think it is time to get into balance? Brittney Conklin returns with paddleboard yoga demonstrations. We’ll be hosting several friendly competitions, demonstrations of many outdoor skills, and exciting activities for everyone. Paddleboards and kayaks are available all day for easy paddling or a little self-balancing.
• For the children, the huge water slide returns next to the beach and we are adding a really long slide.
• Let’s not forget the family fun playing disk golf! Try the festival’s 3-hole course. Learn all about disc golf in McCormick, from Little River Disk Golf, ranked the 61st best 18-hole disc golf destination in South Carolina.
Would you like to move differently? How about listening to music and groove? We are happy to share the sounds of some great bands from our region. It starts with Surrender Cobra from Greenwood, followed by She N She from the Augusta area, and the day ends (5pm to 8pm) with a trio from the Greenville, Crawford, Colt & Waite area. Listen and dance all day!
While you’re having fun, stop by our delicious food stalls and maybe even try a craft beer. Rumor has it there may even be a collaboration on a special brew created in honor of the BlueWay Festival!
Thanks to our many sponsors like Wesley Commons and Self Regional Healthcare, this festival is FREE!
Follow us on Facebook and Instagram at the Western SC BlueWay Festival and visit our website www.bluewayfestival.com for the latest information and soon our daily schedule of activities.
This story first appeared in The McCormick Messenger.