BELLEVILLE, NJ – The Hendricks Field Golf Course in Belleville is now a “championship course” after a $ 5.2 million upgrade, according to district officials.
On Saturday Essex County officials announced that a $ 5.2 million project to renovate and upgrade the track had reached the finish line.
According to official sources, the project addressed several long-standing problems. It also included redesigning and adding several holes to accommodate the practice facility being built for the First Tee youth golf program.
While each hole was updated in some way, the historic design elements were preserved or followed by Charles Banks, a renowned golf architect who originally designed Hendricks Field when it opened in 1929, officials said.
Improvements to the golf course were designed by Mott MacDonald of Iselin, who was awarded a professional service contract for $ 241,995. Golf course architect Stephen Kay was hired to design the new holes and ensure that Banks’ design philosophy was incorporated into the course. Turco Golf of Pompton Lakes won a public contract for $ 5,181,978 for the construction. Essex County received a Green Acres grant to fund the project.
In a separate project, construction of The First Tee exercise facility is underway, officials noted. The facility includes a three-hole practice course, three greens, a large practice bunker and a building for indoor lessons. One side of the building will have garage doors that can be opened so that the space can be used as a driving range in bad weather.
The groundbreaking ceremony for The First Tee took place in June and should be completed by the end of 2021. Continue reading: From Newark to Belleville: The “First Tee” golf program is being expanded
County officials said some of the course’s improvements included:
- “To replace the two holes included in The First Tee, two new holes have been created in the southern section of the course bordering Branch Brook Park. Hole 11 is a 575-yard par 5 that runs from the Road Hole on the St. Andrews Course in the UK. It is the longest hole in Hendricks. Hole 12 was designed as a three-tier mini Biarritz which is a signature Banks design. Due to its proximity to Branch Brook Park, In holes 11 and 12 Cherry blossom trees were planted. “
- “One of the most challenging holes is the eighth hole, 190 yards, par 3. The Redan design has the greens that fall away from the approach.”
- “The drainage system throughout the course has been modernized, including on all tees, greens and along the fairways. Kilometers of new drainage system has been installed. The historic cobblestone creek, which is part of the original design of the course and helps with drainage, has also been cleaned and repaired. In addition, a new irrigation system was installed at the newly created holes. “
- “Teeing areas have been converted or laser-leveled, teeing areas and greens have been re-planted. In addition, teeing areas have been designed for all skill levels. Bunkers have also been restored. Continuously paved cart paths have been installed.”
- “In order to promote ecological sustainability, naturalized areas have been upgraded and expanded; this reduces the amount of grassy lawn that gas-powered mowers need to operate on. Over 100 trees were planted along the entire route. Also, better grasses have been used to withstand drought, require less water, and use fewer pesticides. “
- “The toilet facilities have been improved at all locations on the golf course. In addition, interior work was carried out to modernize the accommodations in the main clubhouse. In the spring of 2022, a large open-air pavilion will be set up on the site for use during golf tournaments and other events. “
Send local news tips and correction requests to email@example.com