The Victorian government enraged the Melbourne Gulf community last week with a particularly severe restriction. Now it has fallen over.
The Victorian government overturned a controversial toilet ban that frustrated members of the Melbourne Gulf community last week.
Melbourne golf clubs welcomed guests again Wednesday after the government allowed them and the tennis courts to reopen for the first time in several weeks.
However, the indoor areas of the clubs, including the toilets, remained closed to guests in accordance with the restrictive guidelines.
Check out the LIVE coverage of the USPGA Tour with Fox Sports on Kayo. New to Kayo? Start your free trial>
The ban inevitably sparked outrage in the golfing community – Royal Melbourne Golf Club captain Andrew Kirby called the restrictions a “joke” and a “human rights violation”.
“I know the guys can do number one in the trees, but there are a lot of women playing,” he said.
David Diaz, a pro at Albert Park Golf Course, said the toilet ban was “pretty ridiculous”.
Australian comedian Dave Hughes tweeted Saturday, “How does someone in Vic Govt not ‘WTF? We can’t be so ridiculous. ‘ When golf courses are open, the toilets must also be open. You really expect men and women to sit in the bushes on golf courses when all public toilets are open elsewhere? “
But on Sunday evening, the Victorian government’s Department of Health announced that it would lift the controversial ban on golf clubs in metropolitan Melbourne from 11:59 p.m. on Monday.
However, toilet facilities must be cleaned twice a day and QR code check-ins must be used as part of the rule change. Clubhouses, changing rooms and bistros will remain closed for the time being.
“These changes, which go into effect on Monday, October 4th at 11:59 PM, mean toilets can be opened while keeping personal contact and the authorized presence of workers in outdoor recreational facilities to a hard minimum Victoria Health said in a media release.
Speaking to reporters last week, Victorian Prime Minister Daniel Andrews said he had asked the health team to look into the toilet ban.
“This team is working as hard as possible,” he said.
“These instructions are far more complex than they sometimes seem, but the good news is that a request has been made that is being followed up and hopefully a positive response will come soon.”
Read related topics:Melbourne