In a story posted on ESPN.com Friday morning, QBE Shootout founder and host Greg Norman confirmed that he will be the commissioner of a new golf league and retire from his business ventures.
However, Norman will remain in his role as the host of the shootout, which takes place December 8-12 at the Tiburón Golf Club at the Ritz-Carlton Golf Resort, and just announced his field on Tuesday.
Wasserman Events hosts all golf tournaments previously operated by the Greg Norman Production Company. Wasserman bought GNPC in 2015. That includes the shootout, so Norman’s move doesn’t directly affect his role at the event.
On Friday, Norman announced its collaboration with Liv Golf Enterprises, supported by the Private Investment Fund. This fund works on behalf of the government of Saudi Arabia. According to ESPN.com, Norman will become both chief operating officer and commissioner.
More:QBE Shootout: Stricker, Lexi return, as well as 3-time master Harris English, Matt Kuchar
More:Greg Norman sells the oceanfront property on Jupiter Island for $ 55 million and then buys the Old Palm House for $ 12 million
More:Golf: Greg Norman Says COVID-19 “kicked the crap out of me”
Golfweek also reported more details about the tour, including that Trump courses could be some of the venues.
“This is the biggest decision of my life,” said Norman, 66, a World Golf Hall of Famer and successful businessman.
Norman will stay in South Florida where he bought a new home in Palm Beach Gardens after selling his home on Jupiter Island for $ 55 million. He also sold his Colorado ranch earlier that year for $ 40 million.
According to ESPN story, Norman will continue to have a stake in his golf course design business.
“What do I do with the Greg Norman Company?” Norman told ESPN.com. “It has 12 departments. I can’t do both. I cannot step into both office buildings with both legs and try 100%. So I decided to retire from the Greg Norman Company. For the first time in my life, I am handing the reins to other people running my business. “
The shootout field is led by three-time champions Matt Kuchar and Harris English, who won by nine strokes last year. US Ryder Cup captain Steve Stricker and LPGA Tour star Lexi Thompson are also part of the 24-player field that plays scramble, modified alternate stroke and the best ball in three tournament rounds. Thirteen players on the field are among the top 50 in the golf world rankings.
The shootout also features Live Fest, a concert on Saturday, December 11th, headlined by Thomas Rhett and Cole Swindell, also with Runaway June and Ben Allen Band in the line-up.
Tournament officials expect to announce the 12 two-player teams for the shootout this week.
Greg Hardwig is a sports reporter for the Naples Daily News and The News-Press. Follow him on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter: @NDN_Ghardwig, email him at [email protected]. Support local journalism with this special subscription offer at https://cm.naplesnews.com/specialoffer/